The Benjamin’s Desk Rittenhouse Square location expands our community to the historic Sun Oil Building. This new space will become the hub of the Rittenhouse Row coworking district, offering 11,693 square feet of additional space for private offices, shared desks, and meeting rooms.
Architecture firm Tilden, Register & Pepper brought modern European influences to Walnut Street with the building’s initial design and construction in 1925. For a period spanning five decades, the 19-story Art Deco high rise building served as the home for the Sun Oil Company. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983, the building has since been a mainstay of the Rittenhouse Row commercial district, housing both retail and commercial tenants. The building is owned and leased by PMC Property Group.
The Space: Opens Late November 2016
As with the renovations of every Benjamin’s Desk space, the design and construction teams emphasize efficient reuse of existing architectural elements while honoring the spirit and heritage of historic spaces.
Members are given access to capital resources, economic partners, high-profile networking events, and more—all with the explicit goal of helping them grow. Members will enjoy access to facilities and services at both locations, including mentorship and benefits from corporate sponsors that include Comcast Business, Pepper Hamilton, GMS Surgent, TriNet, Professional Planning Associates, and 2820 Press.
Benjamin’s Desk offers four core membership opportunities for entrepreneurs and enterprise partners:
- The Network—A membership program that includes occasional use of common space and access to special events, professional development courses, and business incubation services.
- Part-Time—Flexible access to shared desks and conference rooms for professionals requiring presence in targeted geographic areas.
- Full-Time—Full access to Benjamin’s Desk facilities, including the option for dedicated desks and virtual office solutions.
- Private Offices—Short term, flexible leases for early-stage startup companies and other teams.
The original Benjamin’s Desk coworking space on the seventh floor of 1701 Walnut Street will be rebranded as Benjamin’s Desk Innovation Lab, while the flexible eighth floor space in the same building will continue to be known as the Benjamin’s Desk Innovation Loft.
Hours & Directions
Benjamin’s Desk Rittenhouse Square is open to all members from 9am-6pm, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Members with 24/7 access privileges can enter the front door using the access code provided by our Community Manager.
When possible, we recommend traveling to Benjamin’s Desk via Uber or public transit.
- First-time Uber passengers can receive $20 off their first ride with a special promotion code available by calling our office. (Uber currently charges a flat rate of $45 for a one-way trip from the Airport to Benjamin’s Desk in an UberBLACK vehicle.)
- SEPTA’s Suburban Station provides easy access to all Regional Rail lines, including high-speed trains to Philadelphia International Airport and Amtrak’s 30th Street Station. From the 17th & JFK Boulevard exit, travelers can walk west on John F Kennedy Boulevard toward N 17th Street and turn left onto Walnut Street and Benjamin’s Desk Rittenhouse Square will be on the left.
- Travelers on PATCO should disembark at 16th & Locust and walk northwest across Locust and 17th Streets, passing Saint Mark’s Church and the Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel. Make a right onto Walnut Street and Benjamin’s Desk Rittenhouse Square will be on the left.
Discount (with BD Stamp) parking is available at the Pullman Garage (Patriot Parking), located approximately just around the corner from Benjamin’s Desk Rittenhouse Square at 1617 Chancellor Street (Right side parking garage). Other nearby parking facilities include the garage adjacent to the nearby Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel, or at the E-Z Park surface lot at 17th & Pine.
Benjamin’s Desk Rittenhouse Square
1608 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103